Adventure Therapy Intensive
October 3-8, 2022: Early Bird Rate Ends September 30.
Approved for 30 CE units for social workers and counselors.
This training is designed to cover the primary core training elements needed to begin adventure therapy practice. Built around AEE’s Certified Clinical Adventure Therapist (CCAT) training structure, we’ve designed this training to meet 60 of the 75 required core training hours needed for your CCAT application. The content will span multiple aspects of AT practice: foundations, assessment, intervention, facilitation, technical skills, administration, ethics and values, monitoring, and more! Participants will gain a solid foundation in a model for the clinical practice of adventure therapy.
The course is centered around a 6-day, 50 hour, in-person intensive located at the beautiful Camp Mary Orton in Columbus, OH. The additional 10 hours of course content will be conducted virtually prior to this 6-day program. Participants will be trained in the clinical and technical skills needed to conduct accessible adventure interventions including games, initiatives, hiking, creeking, outdoor cooking, firebuilding, and orienteering. This course includes one night of overnight camping. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Register before September 2nd to receive the Early Bird Registration rate! This training has a minimum participant number of 6 participants. The decision will be made by September 5th about whether or not the course will be held. If the course is canceled by Adventure Therapist, LCC, registrants will be refunded their full deposit.
Program Dates (all times in US Eastern)
|Sept 2||Early Bird Registration Deadline|
Cancellation Date if minimum enrollment is not met
|Sept 12-Oct 3||Complete pre-course virtual training (8 hours)|
Content opens Sept 12.
|Sept 19||Orientation 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm (live zoom meeting)|
|Oct 3||AT Intensive Day One: 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm|
|Oct 4||AT Intensive Day Two: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Oct 5||AT Intensive Day Three: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Oct 6||AT Intensive Day Four: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Oct 7||AT Intensive Day Five: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm (Overnight Camping)|
|Oct 8||AT Intensive Day Six: 7:00 am – 12:00 pm|
- Orientation (2.0) Virtual / Live
- Overview of course and concepts
- Preparing for the AT Intensive
- Introduction to Adventure Therapy (3.0) Virtual Asynchronous
- Adventure Therapy Foundations
- Adventure Therapy Models
- Who Showed Up? Assessment and Activity Selection
- Facilitating the Adventure
- Integrating Adventure Therapy into your Practice: Next Steps
- Model for Practice: The Facilitated Wave (1.0) Virtual Asynchronous
- Overview of the Facilitated Wave Model
- Assessment in the context of adventure therapy interventions
- Matching appropriate interventions with one’s assessment
- Shaping the therapeutic environment
- Facilitating the experience
- Guiding the learning throughout the process
- Evaluating the process that has unfolded
- Adventure Therapy Risk Management and Administration (4.0) Virtual Asynchronous
- Overview of Merging Adventure and Clinical Practice
- Duty of Care, Industry Standards, Risk Management, Informed Consent
- Clinical Responsibilities (ethics, models, intentional practice, documentation)
- Adventure Responsibilities (training, safety, policy and procedure, emergency response, documentation)
- AT Intensive (50.0) In-Person / Live
- Guiding the Response
- Shaping the Environment
- Facilitating the Experience
- Technical Skills for AT Interventions
- Cooperative Games
- Outdoor Cooking
- Rescue Skills
- Emergency Response Planning
- General Skills
- Client Care
- Basic Land Navigation
About the instructors
I truly truly enjoyed this intensive!
The course is designed to cover so many topics and options for all different types of AT.
This course did a wonderful job of covering all of the AT basics, while also preparing me with the hands-on skills to implement right away with clients. The immersive experience of being a participant and wearing a facilitator hat made it a truly special experience!
Wonderful training, thank you.
Absolutely LOVED this course! I would definitely recommend this anyone that is interested in AT!!!