If you dream about engaging your clients with activities, time outside, or adventures in the wilderness, this course will teach you the skills and concepts you need to get started!
Introduction to adventure Therapy
Adventure Therapy is a modality of therapy that engages clients in the therapeutic process through the intentional use of adventure activities and initiatives. Adventure Therapy is an essential tool for strengthening rapport, building engagement in the therapeutic process and helping clients develop deeper self-awareness and insight. Adventure Therapists are rewarded with a tremendous sense of fulfillment, excitement and enjoyment.
This online course will cover the information necessary to get you started in this field! We will review the core theories of experiential education and Adventure Therapy models. We will review clinical topics such as assessment in Adventure Therapy, adapting activities to match client goals, facilitation strategies and approaches, how to process Adventure Therapy activities, sequencing activities, and encouraging transfer of learning. Finally we will discuss what steps new Adventure Therapists should take to begin integrating Adventure Therapy into their work with clients.
- Overview and Foundations of the field of Adventure Therapy
- Definitions of Adventure Therapy, Wilderness Therapy, Nature-Based Therapy
- Adventure Therapy Models
- Assessment and Activity Selection
- Facilitation Strategies and Processing Tools
- How to Integrate Adventure into your Practice
- Next steps for New Adventure Therapists!
Therapists, counselors, and other helping professionals interested in learning the foundational theories and skills needed to integrate adventure therapy into their practice.
Nick Magle-Haberek, MS, MSW, LCSW, CCAT
Nick’s love of adventure and the outdoors has been lifelong. He grew up on a small farm in Rhode Island, and later attended the University of Maine, where he fell in love with the field of Outdoor Education. During his time at University of Maine, Nick developed the first of several meaningful relationships with mentors who encouraged him to pursue the field of Wilderness Therapy. After graduating, Nick followed this advice and moved to Utah to work as a field guide for a wilderness therapy program. He spent the winters skiing the amazing Utah powder. Nick followed his passion for Wilderness Therapy and Outdoor Education to the University of New Hampshire where he earned a Masters Degree in Outdoor Education and a Master of Social Work degree. Nick’s experience with Adventure Therapy practice is broad, and he has served as a field guide, facilitator, therapist, clinical supervisor, program manager, consultant and clinical director. Nick has been involved in the creation, implementation and refinement of a variety of adventure and wilderness therapy programs and has been an active presenter, developer and leader in adventure therapy communities.
about This course
Are CEs available for this course? No
Requirements for Course Completion to be Issued certificate:
In order to obtain a course completion certificate, participants must participate in the entire training, then complete a post test and evaluation through the learning platform.
How/When Certificates are issued:
Certificates will be issued immediately upon successful completion of the above tasks.
Below are the hardware recommendations that will result in your best experience:
RAM: 2 GB RAM or higher
Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel or AMD processor
Browser: Firefox 3.6 or later, Google Chrome 7.0 or later, Safari 5.0 or later
Hardware for Webinars: Computer microphone, speakers, Web Camera
Internet: High-speed Wi-Fi connection
- For training clients in a synchronous or in-person course, Adventure Therapist, LLC will provide 75% refunds for cancellations made at least 48 hours in advance of the course. If clients cancel at least one week in advance of the training, a 90% refund will be offered. Refunds are not given for cancellations less than 48 hours ahead of the course.
- For self-paced and asynchronous courses, clients that need to cancel or are not satisfied in the first 30 days of access will receive a refund.
- If by chance you do have a complaint or a grievance. Please send it to [email protected]. Our Grievance Policy is available upon request.
Adventure Therapist, LLC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to those with special needs or disabilities. Please email any requests to [email protected]
Sign Up Now!
Enroll in the pre-recorded course. Complete it at your own pace
- 3 hours of Content
- Take it at your own pace
- Certificate of Completion
- Lifetime Access
Course & Community
Enroll in the pre-recorded course and gain access to the live class meetings, private group, and discussion forums.
- 7 hours of Training
- 4 Weekly Class Meetings
- Discussions & Forum Areas
- Private Group & Feed
- Certificate of Completion
- Lifetime Access